Here are some taxi numbers:
- there are currently 1266 black cabs licensed
- in addition there are 815 private hire taxis (not black cabs and not allowed to pick up on the streets; also cheaper)
- 3581 black cab drivers are licensed
- 1630 private hire drivers are licensed
- 4 pricing tariffs - details can be found here
- 1 black cab for every 370 residents of Edinburgh
Another triumph of process over common sense in local government!
Aberdeen, Birmingham, Dundee and Bristol are amongst the cities which do not control the number of black taxis. Edinburgh should join them.
Local authorities do control maximum prices, taxi cab standards and carry out driver checks.