Monday, 20 September 2010

An international campaign. . . .

Edinburgh Council has embarked on a competitive dialogue process which will likely result in some services  being carried out by non council companies.  One company which is bidding is Veolia.

I have received a trickle of letters and emails from constituents who consider Veolia should be excluded from the tendering process because 'Veolia is assisting Israel in . .  . serious violations of international law' in Jerusalem and on Palestinian land.

Some readers may be interested to know my response:

Dear     ,
Thank you for taking the time to contact me on this issue.
The situation in the Middle East is complex and polarised and I do not profess to have a full grasp of all the issues. 
From where I view the situation, the specific instances to which you refer are set in a larger context of breaches of international law and ethical codes. For example, both the Iranian president and elected representatives of Palestinian people have indicated a wish to wipe out Israel and there is evidence that such a threat is not an idle one.
In the light of such complexities I make no commitment to support the campaign you have espoused and I will respond to the decisions we have to make in the light of the evidence available.  You can rest assured that justice and law will be in the forefront of my considerations.

Cameron Rose
Councillor, Southside & Newington ward
And the following PS:
If you have any influence with the above local campaign, I have many constituents who, along with me, would appreciate an end to the illegal flyposting associated with it.

No comments:

Featured post

Local resident Jim Sillars in the news

Former deputy leader of the SNP Jim Sillars lives locally.  He has been speaking out on a couple of issues recently. First, here is today...