Saturday, 26 February 2011

Local hero: James Gall

James Gall
Yesterday I attended the launch of the Edinburgh Innertube Map at the National Library in Causewayside.  Held in the Map Library I found in the displays some books published by Gall and Inglis whose premises were formerly 12 Newington Road.

I have on my kitchen wall a Peters projection map of the world.  In 1974 Peters launched a world map which was more area accurate than the traditional Mercator one.  However Peters was only replicating the map produced by Rev James Gall in Edinburgh in 1855 which became known as the Gall Orthographic.

Gall who came from a map publishing family, was also instrumental in founding the nearby Royal Blind School (though not in its current location) and Carrubbers Close Mission in the Royal Mile.

Gall & Inglis, the publishing company operating at least until the 1960s, published maps and books such as the Contour Road Book of Scotland (below) and Graded Road Maps of Scotland. Maps by Gall and Inglis, as well as by the nearby and renowned Bartholomews were often supported by field work by members of the Cyclists Touring Club - a cycling link to the Edinburgh Innertube and Spokes maps which are currently available.

February has turned out to be a history month for this blog with an earlier post on the Great Exhibition of Edinburgh - of which there will be more next week.
Note the publisher
Ian Maxwell with his own copy

3 comments:

Evelyn/Ev/Evee said...

It was Rev. James Gall's father, also James Gall, who was a founder of the Royal Blind School. I am his great great great granddaughter, and many years later, without knowing that fact, I became a teacher there!

Evelyn Inglis

Cameron Rose said...

Thank you for the correction. I have been wondering about that recently as I have tried to make sense of the dates.

I suspect you have more information on the Gall family of this period and I would be keen to know more. Are you up for a coffee some time when you are in Edinburg h. cameron.roseatedinburgh.gov.uk

Cameron Rose said...

Thank you for the correction. I have been wondering about that recently as I have tried to make sense of the dates.

I suspect you have more information on the Gall family of this period and I would be keen to know more. Are you up for a coffee some time when you are in Edinburg h. cameron.roseatedinburgh.gov.uk

Featured post

Local resident Jim Sillars in the news

Former deputy leader of the SNP Jim Sillars lives locally.  He has been speaking out on a couple of issues recently. First, here is today...