- With revolution sweeping across the Arab world Tom McMaster, a 40 year old Masters student at Edinburgh University was uncovered as the author of a hoax blog A Gay Girl in Damascus. Meanwhile the University announced an enquiry and suspended his use of IT facilities.
- We note the tragic death of Robbie Cammack, a University medical student, while climbing in the Alps. A member of the University Mountaineering Club, Robbie, aged 19 and from Aberlour, was a gifted sportsman and academically promising. See the STV account of this tragic but inspiring life here.
- The work of students Mikael Ullero and Christopher MacKeand in initiating and running work with a water charity active in Malawi is recorded here.
- A new gene has been named after the father of Scottish veterinary medicine and founder of the Dick Vet after a student's research at the Summerhall building a decade ago resulted in discovery of a new gene sequence. The BBC has the story here.
- MBE's were awarded in the Queen's Birthday Honours to Lesley Forrest for her work with (transplant athletics) and Jill Pilkington (St Kilda sheep). More details here.
Saturday, 18 June 2011
Round up: University news
Former deputy leader of the SNP Jim Sillars lives locally. He has been speaking out on a couple of issues recently. First, here is today...
From time to time I get updates from the local police. I include below a paragraph indicating some work the police have been doing in rela...
Between Monday 27th March and Friday 31st March there will be some restrictions on parking in MacDowall Road whilst road resurfacing takes ...
I note there has been a £650k cash injection to the Queen's Hall in Clerk Street which will give a bit of financial stability over the ...