- With revolution sweeping across the Arab world Tom McMaster, a 40 year old Masters student at Edinburgh University was uncovered as the author of a hoax blog A Gay Girl in Damascus. Meanwhile the University announced an enquiry and suspended his use of IT facilities.
- We note the tragic death of Robbie Cammack, a University medical student, while climbing in the Alps. A member of the University Mountaineering Club, Robbie, aged 19 and from Aberlour, was a gifted sportsman and academically promising. See the STV account of this tragic but inspiring life here.
- The work of students Mikael Ullero and Christopher MacKeand in initiating and running work with a water charity active in Malawi is recorded here.
- A new gene has been named after the father of Scottish veterinary medicine and founder of the Dick Vet after a student's research at the Summerhall building a decade ago resulted in discovery of a new gene sequence. The BBC has the story here.
- MBE's were awarded in the Queen's Birthday Honours to Lesley Forrest for her work with (transplant athletics) and Jill Pilkington (St Kilda sheep). More details here.
Saturday, 18 June 2011
Round up: University news
I have obtained the following figures about the new chargeable garden waste service (which starts on 8th October). The current service is...
The Morgan Playing Fields lie between Peffermill Road and the Prestonfield House Hotel - pretty well opposite Nairns Oatcakes. The playi...
From time to time I get updates from the local police. I include below a paragraph indicating some work the police have been doing in rela...
The resurfacing of the Nicolson Street corridor - from South Bridge right up to Newington Road is scheduled to begin on 9th April. The wor...