As well as being a cure for insomniacs, the idea is to reduce the queuing at peak times and make things more efficient both for customers and for council staff.
You can progress your business on a line which does not have those annoying extra 'local call' charges when you call from a mobile of on a free calls tariff. And you can do it at a time more convenient to you.
If you wish to try it, the number is 01314695000. Council office hours are 08:30 to 5:00 Mondays to Thursdays and 8:30 to 3:40 on Fridays and at all other times you will get the entirely automated system. More details on the Council website here.
And to assist you when you have dialled the above number, here are the keys to press to choose the nature of your enquiry:
- To set up a direct debit for Council Tax
- To make a payment by debit card. For general advice on payments. If you are unable to make the required payments
- If you have received a reminder letter or a summary warrant.
- To make a claim for benefit
- To check the progress of a benefit claim
- If you receive housing or council tax benefit and want to notify a change of circumstances
- If you are a landlord and have a tenant who claims housing benefit
- To notify a change of address relating to Council Tax
- Information regarding Council Tax discounts and exemptions including information for students