SuBo's brother spoke at the Southside Association tonight about what he plans to do with the Odeon. Here are the notes I took of what Gerry Boyle said.
- The aim is to open by 2nd August (yup, this year!) as a festival venue
- If the opening - using limited parts of the building - is successful that will constitute a green light for investing substantial amounts in the fabric of the building
- He wants to rebrand the Odeon as the Instant World Arena with events there being broadcast around the world using digital technology
- It will not be a night club. There will be no gambling or fruit machines
- It will not apply for a late licence
- The Art Deco theme of the building will be retained
- The star spangled ceiling will be retained
- It will show traditional films
- Events proposed include star turns - especially comedy, cabaret style with a wide range of events, films, discussions, interviews. He was talking Ken Dodd, Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey etc., etc.,
- The plan is for a ten year lease with the option to buy at the end of every year
- Any development is unlikely to include the buildings at the rear (Buccleuch Street) which have planning permission to be turned into houses
- Investment in the building and facilities would be in the order to £250-400k for the festival followed by £4.5-£5m to make the building fully operational
- Catering facilities will be installed with a local company
- Apparently DHP have a current planning application under consderation
There was lots more.